Ooni Recipe Book: Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a Blanket w/ Sweet Mustard Dip
Puffy, meaty, and just a tad sweet (thanks to the mustard sauce), this appetizer is extremely delicious and addictive!
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 18 pigs in a blanket (mini sausage rolls)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) water (optional with egg)
- Butter, to grease the tray
- Fine semolina flour, for dusting
- 1 tube (320 grams) ready rolled puff pastry
- 18 cocktail franks or sausages
- 1-2 ounces (40 grams) sesame seeds (optional)
For the dipping sauce
- ¼ cup (70 grams) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60 grams) Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (50 grams) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) lemon juice
- Fire up your oven. Aim for 580°F (300°C) on the baking stone inside.
- If you’d like to add an optional glaze, whisk the egg with a teaspoon of water in a small bowl.
- Grease your baking tray with butter, then scatter a thin layer of fine semolina flour over the top.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a cutting board. Using a knife or scoring blade, cut the sheet in half, lengthwise. Cut each half into thirds, then slice each third diagonally, for a total of 18 evenly sized triangles.
- On a lightly floured surface, take one triangle and place a sausage over the thickest part. With your fingers, roll the sausage into the pastry until the tips touch. Press gently to seal and fold in the sides at either end.
- If you’d like to add a glaze, dip the top of the roll into the egg wash. Lay on the greased and floured baking tray. For a textural contrast, you also have the option to sprinkle sesame seeds over the top. Repeat for the remaining rolls.
- Place the tray in the oven and turn off the gas, or if using wood or charcoal, close the baffle to dampen the flames. Cook for 8 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. (If cooking with gas, turn the oven down to its lowest setting.) Continue cooking for another 4 minutes, turning the pan every 30 to 45 seconds. The rolls should puff up and turn a deep golden brown.
- Check to make sure the pastry is cooked all the way through by removing the tray and inspecting the sides. Transfer the rolls from the tray to a cooling rack and prepare the dip while the rolls cool slightly.
- To make the sweet mustard dip, add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Original recipe from Ooni HQ